A History of Seventh-day Adventist Churches in Battle Creek
A History of Seventh-day Adventist Churches in Battle Creek (part 2)
A History of Seventh-day Adventist Churches in Battle Creek (part 3)
The Fifth Church
The Current Tabernacle
(October 9, 1926 - Present)
The replacement for the Dime Tabernacle was the current Tabernacle building which was built on the same lot, but slightly to the east of the Dime Tabernacle foundation and closer to Van Buren, with the entrance facing Washington Avenue.
Designed by A. B. Chanel, then Battle Creek's leading architect, it is a fireproof structure constructed of brick, concrete and iron. It was built at an estimated cost of $150.00 and now seats 1,100. In 1923 when it was built, the congregation sold off the southeast portion of their lot to the City National Bank and Trust Company for $30,000 to help in financing the rebuilding efforts and costs of making the new church a thoroughly fire-proof building.
The current building was completed October 9, 1926. After the fires and decentralization of the church from Battle Creek, many members moved away, but the church still held a prominent place in the city and denomination. Membership in 1932 is recorded at just under 1,000. Pastor J. C. Stevens writes in November, 1930, "If two thirds of our members would come out, the Tabernacle would be well filled.
Items of additional interest regarding the church that have happened in the decades since this church was built include the following:
* Grand piano from the Post Estate (built to Mrs. C.W. Post's personal specifications) added to the sanctuary
* 1928 Public address system installed in auditorium
* 1942-43 Stained glass windows and mural of Christ with the Rich Young Ruler added
* 1950 Skylight in sanctuary covered with a new roof
* 1954-55 Southeast corner lot repurchased from bank and store to use for church annex
* 1958 Bridge from Tabernacle to annex added
* 1961 Pipe organ added in the sanctuary
* 1967 Front entrance and steps modified and new bathrooms constructed and refurbished
* 1973 Reconstruction of the ramp to sanctuary
* 1997 Elevator added to service three levels
Other articles about Adventist History by the Adventist Heritage Ministry